Along with the rest of the world, we’ve been closely monitoring the evolving situation with COVID-19. It has brought uncertainty and disruption to our community, but Boys & Girls Clubs of Sonoma Valley’s top priority has not changed: the health and safety of the children we serve.
We wanted to take a moment to keep you informed on how we are doing everything we can to ensure the well-being of our Club members, as well as the staff and volunteers who work at/with the Club.
We remain in close and regular contact with our local and regional agencies and are monitoring the regular updates from the Federal Government, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), as well as the Sonoma County Department of Health (DHS). Though the situation around the virus remains fluid, our goal is to continue our mission – to serve those kids who need us the most – both during and after the crisis.
Here are some of the steps we’ve quickly taken to continue to protect the well-being of our members, as well as to keep our members engaged during the closure.
- We are staying closed in conjunction with the school district to help eliminate the spread of this virus. As an essential business, we are on standby to open for the families of first responders and medical staff who are on the front lines fighting this virus daily.
- We are prepared to be a point of contact for food distribution if needed.
- We have established a Coronavirus Preparedness Task Force, made up of Club Leadership and our Executive Board Members, to monitor the situation, stay in close contact with health officials and share insights to Club staff, parents and our community.
- Our staff is working remotely to provide online activities and videos to engage our members in educational and recreational activities.
- Beginning Monday, March 30th our team will be distributing over 200 kits full of activities, games and supplies for families.
- With the support of our Teen Director our teens are participating in virtual college tours and online scholarship writing workshops.
- We have committed to paying our staff through April 3rd in order to retain our quality employees and provide consistency for when our members return. With 55 employees, as orders continue from state and local levels, we will be forced to reevaluate.
- We are utilizing our resources provided through Boys & Girls Clubs of America to provide online staff development for our team as they work remotely.
- We have taken extra steps to ensure our Clubhouses are clean, sanitized should the opportunity to re-open present itself in the near future.
The safety and well-being of our Club members remains our foremost priority, and we will continue to share updates with you as quickly and transparently as possible.
What Can You Do?
If you are interested in taking action to support the Club’s mission during this crisis, consider the following:
- Continue to support us. WE NEED YOU NOW MORE THAN EVER!
Our kids – and their parents – will need us throughout this crisis. Our members have endured enough between the fires, power outages and now this health epidemic. Please help us retain our staff so that we can provide the consistency our members deserve.
- Continue to talk about the important work the Club does to your network and the greater community.
- Ask your company if they are interested in a matching opportunity to support the important work of the Club.
Our commitment to our members and families is unwavering. THANK YOU for your continued support and care of Boys & Girls Clubs of Sonoma Valley.